I spent some time thinking today about the 4th's that we had as kids. Of course staying up late and getting to play with matches were the highlights, but there was so much more. What do you remember?
Here's my list and the things I hope to share with my own little pyromaniacs:
- Homemade ice cream (yes, you had to use ice and rock salt AND turn the crank). We all took turns but I always wanted to lift the lid as I was sure it was ready. Then we got the fancy electric kind. I still make Great Grandma Doty's recipe. It's the best I have found!
- Writing your name with the sparklers.
- Decorating your bike for the parade with red, white and blue streamers.
- Watermelon seed spitting contests.
- Homemade berry pies.
- BBQ everything.
- Running through the sprinklers.
- Making juice popsicles.
- Watching your dad almost trip and fall as he runs away from the newly lit firework.
- Throwing those snap crack fireworks at each other's feet and then playing in the sawdust they came in.
- The smell of burned out fireworks in a pale of water.
- And of course family and friends.
Let's all be thankful for our independence today. Put out your flag, turn on your sprinkler and be a kid again.
Great Grandma Doty's Ice Cream
2 quarts half and half
1 1/2 C sugar
**Beat eggs until foamy and add other ingredients. Place in ice cream maker until thick and ready.